Why does our skin age?
Two processes are responsible for skin ageing:
1. Intrinsic ageing
This process is natural. Gradually, the cells age and the various skin maintenance mechanisms are weakened:
- Decrease in the activity of the sebaceous and sweat glands: your skin dries out easily and is less supple.
- Slowing down of the cell renewal rate: dead cells remain and accumulate on your skin, making your complexion duller.
- Loss of elasticity of the dermis: your skin is less taut and therefore wrinkles deepen.
2. Extrinsic ageing
This process is caused by external and environmental factors such as
- UV rays. Excessive exposure to UV rays weakens the skin cells and encourages the appearance of wrinkles.
- Cigarettes. The substances found there contribute to the degradation of the cells of the dermis and the epidermis.
- Stress. This leads to premature ageing of the cells.
- Not practising sport. This does not encourage good oxygenation of the skin tissue.
Does taking care of my skin slow down its ageing?
Unfortunately, nothing can stop the skin from ageing. However, if you have taken care of your skin from the age of 20-25 and protected it well from the sun, your skin will thank you at 50. If, on the other hand, you didn't take care of your skin before the first signs of ageing appeared, it's time to start!
How can I limit the effects of time on my skin?
Adopt a healthy lifestyle
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated.
- Exercise to improve blood circulation and oxygenation. In addition, sweating will have a beneficial effect on your skin.
- Get plenty of sleep to allow your skin to regenerate.
- Cut out alcohol and tobacco. Alcohol makes your skin stiffer and less elastic. Smoking worsens the ageing of your skin.
Apply anti-ageing skin care
Although the choice of your anti-ageing creams is very important, the gestures related to their application are also essential:
- Apply your day or night cream after cleansing your skin well with micellar water.
- Gently exfoliate your face, this will allow you to have a regular skin texture.
- Apply your products from the top to the bottom and from the centre of the face outwards.
- Apply your care products all over your face, up to the neckline.
- Remember to apply a face mask whenever you feel like it.
Protect your skin from external aggressions
- Cleanse your skin well in the morning and evening to rid it of all impurities and toxins.
- Protect your skin from pollution and the sun.
- Avoid all sources of stress.
And finally... Smile, it's the best anti-ageing treatment!